Monday 10 June 2013

Speed dating - The Aftermath

When booking the speed dating event I was informed that I would have one month’s free membership to their online dating site. Its basic online dating with the added extras of seeing who is an “event attendee” and what events are coming up. So if you were really worried about how many fertile years you have left and are desperate to meet someone you could go to as many of these events as you care to pay for.

I have deleted my profiles from Match.com and POF because to be honest it got to boring to read the kind of messages I was receiving and the dates were not much better, always older, shorter, not as advertised.

So I had thought speed dating would be a better way of trying before you buy in terms of physical attraction to someone, and it was to be fair. It even worked the opposite way. Someone who, on the night, I felt could be someone I could get to know better would never have caught my eye online. Whether they want to see me remains to be seen but the point is I would have overlooked his profile online, but at speed dating I liked his character.

This kind of dating is so much more me, I never liked the anonymity of online dating if I am honest, at times it had its plus side, but not often.

Because I have been given a free trial to the speed dater site I thought I might as well see what kind of men this site had in my area. If they go to actual dating events it flags this up to which I thought may be a better way of sorting the wheat from the chaff. After all no one is going to send you a sexually charged “sit on my face” email if they may have to meet you in public are they? Well yes frankly they are…

The search of my postcode for any potentially eligible bachelors drew a bit of a blank. I sent a couple of winks to cute guys but for the most part the people on there were a lot older than me and the filtering buttons that a lot of other websites have are not as detailed.

The men online are still the same and I still get the odd one that makes me laugh…

Seeking “Discreet clean fun locally” – ewwwwww you shouldn’t have to specify that its “clean” that makes my skin crawl. This kind of guy is, if nothing else, honest. He wants to get laid and there is no shame in that but it does make me laugh that he would create a profile and go to the effort of setting it up online, thinking that the offers would just come rolling in. I wonder if they do, doubtful since he wasn’t Brad Pitt. What does he do when he goes to a speed dating event?  I don’t think women would be falling over themselves to spend time with him if they are looking to date.

“Very bad photo, I don’t look this bad honest” – Bless, this guy’s photo did literally look like a prison photo. But who in their right minds uses a photo that needs this explanation. My friend, that is just your face and you will have to live with it, walk around with it on the front of your scull for the rest of your life. There is no point in saying that it’s a bad picture, no one will believe you and to be honest it’s so easy to get a new photo these days there I no excuse really.

In terms of the speed dating event I was selected by a few men on the evening but none of them were the ones I liked so no dates seem to be fourth coming from this event. I can’t say I am shocked to be honest, now I know what to expect I should think the next event would go a lot smoother.

Sister_single thinks that I should go to some of the other themed speed dating events in order for the blog to be balanced, so this time I am definitely dragging her along to all the other ones I am going to go to, for the sake of writing the blog you understand. Having someone else there should help in terms of nerves and therefore prevent the kind of shit faced behaviour as previously displayed.

Daddy_single thinks I should forget the whole speed dating / online dating thing. It’s his theory that when you stop looking for someone they fall right into your lap. I do subscribe to this myself to a certain extent but I also believe that dating is like a sport and if you don’t play often enough you get rusty. Also I would have nothing to write about (He said I should just make it up but that would be cheating)

Until next time
Love
SG
X




No comments:

Post a Comment