Thursday 6 March 2014

Making friends and not influencing anyone

Last night I attended a networking event for work, it was very interesting and informative from a work front.

London, like most cities can be a lonely place, people don't seem to talk to each other unless the situation, such as this event, demands it.

I make conversation wherever I go, earlier this week I met a pre op transsexual who is a slave to a madam (I couldn't even make this stuff up)

Having said that despite how chatty I am, I'm actually quiet shy. It baffles me sometimes why people would want to be friends with me, I've never seen myself with much to offer in that regard.

But last night I met a lovely woman who apparently wants to be my friend.

We got chatting about the event and the topics surrounding it, gossiping about people we knew in the industry, talking about families.

She has exactly the same sense of humour as me and seems like she'd be a really good laugh.

When you meet someone and you click like that you just know don't you? It was ridiculous that at the age of 28 I still had the feeling that I desperately wanted this woman to like me and be my friend.

How needy is that?!

It was like wanting to sit with the popular girls at lunch and always feeling outside of that group, this woman is successful, funny and cool, why would she want to be friends with me?

At the end of the event she asked if I had a business card (I don't have cards I am definitely not important enough!) so she suggested I write my email address on one of hers so she could email me and arrange to meet up again.

I was elated! Someone wants to be my friend, someone liked me enough at the first meeting to want to get together socially, I was sitting with the popular girls!

It's quiet a pathetic side to my nature really, that I like this kind of validation, but hey, it got validated!

So as I get older and making new friends is as difficult as meeting dates, if not more so, every now and again someone comes along to remind you that sometimes life can be like sex in the city, so Miranda and I will go out for a cocktail in skyscraper heels to find Charlotte and Samantha :-)


Until next time
Love
SG
X

No comments:

Post a Comment